Dig Daily In God's Word
We, at Crossroads, love to gather and worship God in a crowd, but we also know that to really get to know God, we have to withdraw and spend time alone in His Word. That’s why we practice “daily digging” in the Bible. Proverbs 2:4 says, “Search for them (God’s principles) as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures.”
As we open the Scriptures, the goal is to “dig until you hit something that hits you" or in other words, we read until we run into something that relates to our lives.
Here are a few digging tips:
- Pray before beginning.
- Read the Bible slowly and meditatively.
- Pay attention to context (what’s going on before and after the text you’re reading).
- In seeking to apply the verse/passage to your life, ask 4 questions:
- Is there a sin to avoid?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a command to obey?
- To increase understanding, try using different translations or versions of the Bible when reading a passage.
- If you dig and don’t come up with anything that “hits” you, don’t feel defeated, dig again the next day!